What is it and what does it eat with?
A brand book is an official company document that describes the brand concept, brand attributes, target audience, company positioning and other data that guide the marketing department and business leaders to build communication with consumers and develop the company as a whole. In addition, the brand book contains a complete guide to corporate identity, which includes a detailed description of the use of each corporate element on various media, both advertising and corporate.
A brand book is a description of the basic elements of identity and brand attributes (essence, position, mission, philosophy, values, individuality). The objective of this document is to systematize all the ideological elements of the brand, create a comprehensively formed picture of the brand, as well as detailed recommendations for its use in order to create a holistic perception of the brand by consumers.
Brandbook Development Goals
When developing a brand book, it is necessary to answer the main questions:
- What is a brand?
- Who is it made for?
- What is his mission?
Based on this, we can distinguish the following purposes of creating a brand book:
- systematization of brand information in one document;
- informing employees about the goals of the brand and its mission;
- increasing the effectiveness of marketing activities;
- assistance in creating an image and managing brand reputation;
- standardization of the application of corporate identity elements.
Brandbook Design Principles
Since the brand book is mainly intended for internal corporate use, when developing it, it is necessary to focus on the main goals and objectives of the brand, its world mission. After reading this “Bible”, employees should be even more interested in the brand and its philosophy, turning the brand’s mission into their own.
The brand book will be used as a vector for the development of the company for decades. Therefore, it should describe as accurately as possible the overall strategy for the development of the brand, taking into account possible market fluctuations.
Heads of departments and the executive director of the company must take part in the compilation of the brand book. They are the ones who better than others see the prospects for the development of the brand and should convey them to other employees.
A brand book usually consists of three elements. The first is the ideological part, which describes the scope of the company, its mission, philosophy, development strategies, positioning and communication. The second element is the legal part, which governs copyright and related intellectual property rights in relation to brand elements. The third element is a guideline, a passport of standards.
Additional section of brand book – guideline
Most often, international companies try to separate the brand book and guideline because in different countries different elements of corporate identity may be applied and requirements for the design of printing materials vary. In addition, with the development of the brand, the importance of branding information increases significantly, which requires a more detailed description of the brand idea. However, the guideline may still be part of the brand book, especially in a small company.
Guideline greatly simplifies the problems of the marketing department that relate to the use of brand identity. Guideline allows you to unify all elements of the corporate identity and guarantees their attractiveness on different media. It includes such elements:
- Options for building a logo and its security zone, color, black and white and monochrome version.
- Description of brand constants (fonts, colors and color combinations, corporate block, etc.) with the rules for their scaling and application on different media.
- The principles of layout of slogans and their relative position with the logo.
- Rules for the design of text information.
- The principles of creating layouts for printing products or finished layouts.
The larger the company, the more additional elements will include the guideline. In addition to the above elements, it may include:
- section governing the execution of business documentation;
- section dedicated to the design of outdoor advertising, POS materials (relevant for stores);
- section with the requirements for service in the institution, as well as standards for tailoring uniforms;
- section on interior and exterior design.
Подробное описание брендбука гарантирует четкое соблюдение правил использования фирменного стиля и норм поведения сотрудниками в разных рабочих ситуациях.